|I wouldn't be riding my road bike rather it would be my Surly back home.|
So the other day I said to Beth that I should bike back home. She originally thought just back to our place in the Mount, but I was meaning Minneapolis. I would love to have an epic touring experience and the timing couldn't be better. I don't have a real job and I will be coming back to the States, just via a different means. I would get to experience the trip back in a different capacity and get to see many of the nooks and crannies that you don't get to experience as you cross over imaginary borders as a passenger in a plane or car.
To those of you that read this blog: have you done bike touring before? I've done long weekends before, but never an extended trip. How much planning did you do? What did you find the most satisfying event of your experience? The worst? What do you wish you did differently?
I'm assuming I would need the following:
- Bike: Surly Cross-Check
- Back Panniers: Ortlieb Backroller Classic Panniers
- Front Panniers: Orlieb Front Roller Panniers
- Cycling Clothing: jersey, jacket, bibs, socks, and shoes
- Rain gear
- Some normal cloths (shorts, pants, etc)
- Tools - wrenches, chain breaker, spoke wrench, lube, tire lever, pump
- Tire stuff: spare tubes, spare folding tire(s), and patch kit
- Replacement equipment: brake pads, spokes, chain, etc
- Duct tape
- Compass & Maps
- First-aid kit
- Tent/Hammock and tarp
- Sleeping bag and pad
- Food stuff: burner, fuel, pan, spork
- Toiletries including contact stuff
- Bike maintenance skills
- Other stuff?